Migrating our NAS
So it was decided to migrate the NAS to a new case that should be more accessible. It should also be little more silent as well. Moving the server from a Fractal Node 804 to a Fractal Define R5 and because it is a Wazz Modz server, customization will be required. Well maybe not required but fun.
- Old Case: Fractal Node 804
- New Case: Fractal Define R5
- MotherBoard: SuperMicro X11SSH-LN4F
- Processor: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5
- Memory: 64gb Samsung ECC 2133 mHz
- Storage: SuperMacro SataDOM 16gb (OS); PNY 120gig SSD (Jails); 6 WD Reds 3tb
- PSU: EVGA 650w SuperNova G2
The system was originally built in the Node 804, which is a great case but noticed the space where the drives hung was getting kind of warm and was a mess with all the cables routed to the six WD Red HDD's. Also if one of the drives failed it would have been quite the chore removing and replacing it.
The fun part was making the custom 24-pin cable to the PSU. The 24-Pin on the motherboard is on the top instead of the side. Because of this it was decided to do a side arch and twist down to the larger opening on the right of the motherboard. Colors where chosen; Red because of the Sata Data Cables, Black and White cause of the case colors.
So far pretty happy with the rebuild.
Lot of fun to build!